Nor’wester death toll jumps to 8


Staff Reporter:

The death toll from Sunday’s storm rose to eight after a worker, injured in the nor’wester, died on Monday.

Alamgir Hossain, 40, a resident of Shubaddya Uttarpara, was injured when a light post fell on him on Babu Bazar Bridge in the evening, said Shah Zaman, officer-in-charge of South Keraniganj Model Police Station.

He was taken to Mitford Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries around 2pm.

Besides, four people, including a woman and her son, died in separate incidents of boat capsize in the Buriganga River during the storm.

Two young men also died after a trawler capsized in Buriganga near Keraniganj. They were identified as Sabbir Hossain, 18, son of Shahidul Islam, and Tuhin, 20, son of Afzal Hossain – both hailing from Shariatpur. They lived in Dakhshin Rasulpur.

They had been missing since a boat carrying them sank in storm around 7pm, police said. Their bodies were retrieved around 8:30pm.

Meanwhile, Rumi Akhter, 30, and her three-year old son Ali Hossain, residents of Madrasapara in Kamrangirchar, died in a boat capsize near Borishur ghat in Keraniganj.

Police said they were travelling to Keraniganj when the boat sank around 7:30pm. Their bodies were retrieved from the river around half an hour later.

In Dhaka, at least three people were killed as the nor’wester hit the capital on Sunday evening.

The victims were identified as Md Hanif, 50, a tea vendor at Paltan crossing, Mili de-Costa, 62, a resident of Monipuripara, and Md Dulal Mia, 40, a driver by profession.

Mili died after a tree fell on her at Lake Road around 6:30pm, police said.

Hanif was injured after several pieces of bricks fell on him from a nearby multi-storey building around 6:15 pm. He was taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where doctors pronounced him dead around 6:50pm.

Dulal died on the spot around 6:45pm when a portion of an extended structure of a multi-storied building collapsed on him in West Shewrapara.

The tropical storm, the first of the season, hit the capital around 6:15pm with a wind speed of 74km per hour and lasted for a few minutes, according to the Met Office.

Seventeen millimeters of rain was recorded during the storm, said meteorologist Bazlur Rashid.

The rain caused widespread traffic chaos, inflicting sufferings on those returning home from offices. A number of windowpanes of Cosmos Centre were also shattered during the storm.

The Metrological Department has forecast rain/thunder showers accompanied by temporary gusty/squally wind throughout the country in the next 24 hours from 9am on Monday. unb


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here