Thousands of construction workers in eight upazilas in the district are going through a tough time without work and food as economic activities came to a halt because of coronavirus outbreak.
According to Upazila Administration office sources, 18,000 construction workers have applied for food assistance in the district until April 22.
Most of the workers said their names were left out of the list of government aid during this coronavirus crisis.
Sheikh Shahin Mahmud, general secretary of Sadar Upazila Construction Workers Union, said about 18,000 construction workers have been living without work as well as any government assistance during this crisis.
They have a list of 17,700 construction workers – 2,600 under two trade unions in Manirampur, 2,000 in Bagharpara, 1,300 in Abhoynagar, 1,500 in Jhikargachha, 1,500 in Chowgacha, 2,500 in Keshabpur, and about 4,500 workers in Sadar upazila.
All of them have been without any income for the last one month and most of them have no food to feed their families, he added.
They have submitted application with their national identity cards to respective upazila nirbahi officers, workers’ leader Sheikh Shahin said.
Asked about the workers’ appeal for food, Sharsha Upazila Nirbahi Officer Pulak Kumar Mondol said they have received written applications from construction workers.
“They’ll be brought under food assistance programme soon,” he added.
Meanwhile, the government extended the general holidays until May 5 to tackle the worsening coronavirus situation in the country.
With the extended general holidays, the workers will also literally be dependent on government relief for living with families.
Bangladesh has so far confirmed 4,998 coronavirus cases and 140 deaths.unb